Are you growing dahlia in Minnesota, but don’t know when they’ll bloom?
Getting your Dahlia to bloom is not as easy as it seems.
- Dahlia have a small window when they bloom and still look great.
So if they bloom too early they may die or not last as long. And if they bloom too late they may have small blooms that don’t last long.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time for dahlia to bloom in Minnesota:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Dahlia, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do Dahlia Bloom in Minnesota?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when Dahlia will bloom: where your Dahlia are planted & weather (time).
Bloom Time Depends on Where Your Dahlia Are Planted!!!
When your Dahlia will bloom will depend on exactly where it is planted in your yard or garden
In general, expect the following:
- If a dahlia is planted in an area of your yard that receives full sun it will bloom around the same time every year or up to two weeks early due to warm weather and extra sunlight.
- If a dahlia is planted in an area of your yard that received partial sun it will bloom around the same time every year.
- If a dahlia is planted in an area of your yard that receives shade and is not protected from wind or rain it will bloom anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks later than its average time.
Minnesota Last & First Frost Dates
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Minnesota. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Bloom Time Depends on the weather!
In general, dahlia will bloom:
- 8 weeks after starting dahlia from seed
- 40 days after planting dahlia in your yard
If you want to learn WHEN ANY Flower will bloom in Minnesota, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.