Are you growing gaillardia in Iowa, but don’t know when they’ll bloom?
- Gaillardia have a small window when they bloom and still look great.
So if they bloom too early they may die or not last as long. And if they bloom too late they may have small blooms that don’t last long.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time for gaillardia to bloom in Iowa:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Gaillardia, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do Gaillardia Bloom in Iowa?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when Gaillardia will bloom: where your Gaillardia are planted & weather (time).
Bloom Time Depends on Where Your Gaillardia Are Planted!!!
When your Gaillardia will bloom will depend on exactly where it is planted in your yard or garden
In general, expect the following:
- If a gaillardia is planted in an area of your yard that receives full sun it will bloom around the same time every year or up to two weeks early due to warm weather and extra sunlight.
- If a gaillardia is planted in an area of your yard that received partial sun it will bloom around the same time every year.
- If a gaillardia is planted in an area of your yard that receives shade and is not protected from wind or rain it will bloom anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks later than its average time.
Iowa Last & First Frost Dates
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Iowa. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Bloom Time Depends on the weather!
In general, gaillardia will bloom:
- 2 years after starting gaillardia from seed
- 720 days after planting gaillardia in your yard
If you want to learn WHEN ANY Flower will bloom in Iowa, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.