Do you want to fertilize mustard greens in Minnesota, but don’t know when the best time to do so is?
Fertilizing mustard greens is not as easy as it seems.
- Mustard Greens require a specific time to be fertilized and a particular amount of fertilization.
So if you fertilize them too early they will die and if you fertilize them too late you won’t get any fruit.
And if you fertilize too much you will “burn” your plant and if you don’t fertilize enough your mustard greens plant won’t grow quickly and large enough to bear a high yield of fruit.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to fertilize mustard greens in Minnesota:
- To Learn More About WHEN To Fertilize Mustard Greens, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Fertilize Mustard Greens in Minnesota
There are two specific times you should fertilize your mustard greens plants:
- You should immediately fertilize your mustard greens plants with a 10-10-10 NPK balanced fertilizer mix. The fertilizer should either be mixed with the soil you are planting or in the hole before you transplant your mustard greens into the ground. This will allow your plants to grow quicker and larger.
- The second round of fertilization should be applied just as your mustard greens plant begins to grow fruit. You will want to still use a 10-10-10 balanced fertilizer mix. You will want to apply it to your soil and immediately water after. This will allow your mustard greens plant to bear bigger and more fruit.
When NOT to Fertilize Mustard Greens in Minnesota
There are certain times you should not fertilize your mustard greens plant.
- Don’t fertilize seedlings that are less than 1 month old.
- Don’t fertilize mustard greens plants without immediately watering them after.
- Don’t fertilize mustard greens plants once they have ripened fruit on them.
- Don’t fertilize mustard greens after the initial fertilization period or before fruit begins to grow on your plant.
How Much Fertilizer Should I Apply to My Mustard Greens Plants?
The amount of fertilization you apply will depend on the specific type of mustard greens plant you have.
As a general rule you should:
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Never apply more than the recommended amount.
- Apply the proper amount of fertilization around your mustard greens plant and never directly on it or on its stem.
- Provide the same amount of fertilization each time you apply it so that your mustard greens plant does not become shocked by too many or too few nutrients.
If you want to learn WHEN to Fertilize ANY Plant in Minnesota, head over HERE and just type in the plant you want to fertilize.
You can also find the BEST Fertilizers for Mustard Greens or Any Plant HERE.