Do you want to fertilize Nasturtiums in Illinois, but don’t know when the best time to do so is?
Fertilizing nasturtiums is not as easy as it seems.
- Nasturtiums require a specific time to be fertilized and a particular amount of fertilization.
So if you fertilize them too early they will die and if you fertilize them too late they won’t bloom.
And if you fertilize too much you will “burn” your plant and if you don’t fertilize enough your nasturtium flower won’t grow quickly and large enough to bloom.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to fertilize nasturtiums in Illinois:
- To Learn More About WHEN To Fertilize Nasturtiums then read this GUIDE!
When to Fertilize Nasturtiums in Illinois
There are two specific times you should fertilize your nasturtium flowers:
- You should immediately fertilize your nasturtium flowers with a 10-10-10 NPK balanced fertilizer mix. The fertilizer should either be mixed with the soil you are planting or in the hole before you transplant your nasturtiums into the ground. This will allow your plants to grow quicker and larger.
- The second round of fertilization should be applied 6 weeks before when you expect your flower to bloom. Apply a balanced water-soluble fertilizer every 2 – 3 weeks until your flower is in full bloom. This will allow your nasturtiums to have bigger and more flower blooms.
When NOT to Fertilize Nasturtiums in Illinois
There are certain times you should not fertilize your flower plant.
- Don’t fertilize seedlings that are less than 1 month old.
- Don’t fertilize flower plants without immediately watering them after.
- Don’t fertilize flower plants once they have large blooms.
How Much Fertilizer Should I Apply to My Flower Plants?
The amount of fertilization you apply will depend on the specific type of flower plant you have.
As a general rule, you should:
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Never apply more than the recommended amount.
- Apply the proper amount of fertilization around your flower plant and never directly on it or on its stem.
- Provide the same amount of fertilization each time you apply it so that your nasturtium plant does not become shocked by too many or too few nutrients.
If you want to learn WHEN to Fertilize ANY Plant in Illinois, head over HERE and just type in the plant you want to fertilize.
You can also find the BEST Fertilizers for Nasturtiums or Any Plant HERE.