Do you want to fertilize pumpkins in Arizona, but don’t know when the best time to do so is?
Fertilizing pumpkins is not as easy as it seems.
- Pumpkins require a specific time to be fertilized and a particular amount of fertilization.
So if you fertilize them too early they will die and if you fertilize them too late you won’t get any fruit.
And if you fertilize too much you will “burn” your plant and if you don’t fertilize enough your pumpkin plant won’t grow quickly and large enough to bear a high yield of fruit.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to fertilize pumpkins in Arizona:
- To Learn More About WHEN To Fertilize Pumpkins, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Fertilize Pumpkins in Arizona
There are two specific times you should fertilize your pumpkin plants:
- You should immediately fertilize your pumpkin plants with a 10-10-10 NPK balanced fertilizer mix. The fertilizer should either be mixed with the soil you are planting or in the hole before you transplant your pumpkins into the ground. This will allow your plants to grow quicker and larger.
- The second round of fertilization should be applied just as your pumpkin plant begins to grow fruit. You will want to still use a 10-10-10 balanced fertilizer mix. You will want to apply it to your soil and immediately water after. This will allow your pumpkin plant to bear bigger and more fruit.
When NOT to Fertilize Pumpkins in Arizona
There are certain times you should not fertilize your pumpkin plant.
- Don’t fertilize seedlings that are less than 1 month old.
- Don’t fertilize pumpkin plants without immediately watering them after.
- Don’t fertilize pumpkin plants once they have ripened fruit on them.
- Don’t fertilize pumpkins after the initial fertilization period or before fruit begins to grow on your plant.
How Much Fertilizer Should I Apply to My Pumpkin Plants?
The amount of fertilization you apply will depend on the specific type of pumpkin plant you have.
As a general rule you should:
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Never apply more than the recommended amount.
- Apply the proper amount of fertilization around your pumpkin plant and never directly on it or on its stem.
- Provide the same amount of fertilization each time you apply it so that your pumpkin plant does not become shocked by too many or too few nutrients.
If you want to learn WHEN to Fertilize ANY Plant in Arizona, head over HERE and just type in the plant you want to fertilize.
You can also find the BEST Fertilizers for Pumpkins or Any Plant HERE.