Do you want to fertilize Spinach in Illinois, but don’t know when the best time to do so is?
Fertilizing spinach is not as easy as it seems.
- Spinach require a specific time to be fertilized and a particular amount of fertilization.
So if you fertilize them too early they will die and if you fertilize them too late you won’t get any fruit.
And if you fertilize too much you will “burn” your plant and if you don’t fertilize enough your spinach plant won’t grow quickly and large enough to bear a high yield of fruit.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to fertilize spinach in Illinois:
- To Learn More About WHEN To Fertilize Spinach, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Fertilize Spinach in Illinois
There are two specific times you should fertilize your spinach plants:
- You should immediately fertilize your spinach plants with a 10-10-10 NPK balanced fertilizer mix. The fertilizer should either be mixed with the soil you are planting or in the hole before you transplant your spinach into the ground. This will allow your plants to grow quicker and larger.
- The second round of fertilization should be applied just as your spinach plant begins to grow fruit. You will want to still use a 10-10-10 balanced fertilizer mix. You will want to apply it to your soil and immediately water after. This will allow your spinach plant to bear bigger and more fruit.
When NOT to Fertilize Spinach in Illinois
There are certain times you should not fertilize your spinach plant.
- Don’t fertilize seedlings that are less than 1 month old.
- Don’t fertilize spinach plants without immediately watering them after.
- Don’t fertilize spinach plants once they have ripened fruit on them.
- Don’t fertilize spinach after the initial fertilization period or before fruit begins to grow on your plant.
How Much Fertilizer Should I Apply to My Spinach Plants?
The amount of fertilization you apply will depend on the specific type of spinach plant you have.
As a general rule you should:
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Never apply more than the recommended amount.
- Apply the proper amount of fertilization around your spinach plant and never directly on it or on its stem.
- Provide the same amount of fertilization each time you apply it so that your spinach plant does not become shocked by too many or too few nutrients.
If you want to learn WHEN to Fertilize ANY Plant in Illinois, head over HERE and just type in the plant you want to fertilize.
You can also find the BEST Fertilizers for spinach or Any Plant HERE.