Do you want to fertilize Swiss Chard in South Dakota, but don’t know when the best time to do so is?
Fertilizing Swiss Chard is not as easy as it seems.
- Swiss Chard require a specific time to be fertilized and a particular amount of fertilization.
So if you fertilize them too early they will die and if you fertilize them too late you won’t get any fruit.
And if you fertilize too much you will “burn” your plant and if you don’t fertilize enough your Swiss Chard plant won’t grow quickly and large enough to bear a high yield of fruit.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to fertilize Swiss Chard in South Dakota:
- To Learn More About WHEN To Fertilize Swiss Chard, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Fertilize Swiss Chard in South Dakota
There are two specific times you should fertilize your Swiss Chard plants:
- You should immediately fertilize your Swiss Chard plants with a 10-10-10 NPK balanced fertilizer mix. The fertilizer should either be mixed with the soil you are planting or in the hole before you transplant your Swiss Chard into the ground. This will allow your plants to grow quicker and larger.
- The second round of fertilization should be applied just as your Swiss Chard plant begins to grow fruit. You will want to still use a 10-10-10 balanced fertilizer mix. You will want to apply it to your soil and immediately water after. This will allow your Swiss Chard plant to bear bigger and more fruit.
When NOT to Fertilize Swiss Chard in South Dakota
There are certain times you should not fertilize your Swiss Chard plant.
- Don’t fertilize seedlings that are less than 1 month old.
- Don’t fertilize Swiss Chard plants without immediately watering them after.
- Don’t fertilize Swiss Chard plants once they have ripened fruit on them.
- Don’t fertilize Swiss Chard after the initial fertilization period or before fruit begins to grow on your plant.
How Much Fertilizer Should I Apply to My Swiss Chard Plants?
The amount of fertilization you apply will depend on the specific type of Swiss Chard plant you have.
As a general rule you should:
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Never apply more than the recommended amount.
- Apply the proper amount of fertilization around your Swiss Chard plant and never directly on it or on its stem.
- Provide the same amount of fertilization each time you apply it so that your Swiss Chard plant does not become shocked by too many or too few nutrients.
If you want to learn WHEN to Fertilize ANY Plant in South Dakota, head over HERE and just type in the plant you want to fertilize.
You can also find the BEST Fertilizers for Swiss Chard or Any Plant HERE.