Do you want to fertilize water chestnut in Pennsylvania, but don’t know when the best time to do so is?
Fertilizing water chestnut is not as easy as it seems.
- Water Chestnut require a specific time to be fertilized and a particular amount of fertilization.
So if you fertilize them too early they will die and if you fertilize them too late you won’t get any fruit.
And if you fertilize too much you will “burn” your plant and if you don’t fertilize enough your water chestnut plant won’t grow quickly and large enough to bear a high yield of fruit.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to fertilize water chestnut in Pennsylvania:
- To Learn More About WHEN To Fertilize Water Chestnut, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Fertilize Water Chestnut in Pennsylvania
There are two specific times you should fertilize your water chestnut plants:
- You should immediately fertilize your water chestnut plants with a 10-10-10 NPK balanced fertilizer mix. The fertilizer should either be mixed with the soil you are planting or in the hole before you transplant your water chestnut into the ground. This will allow your plants to grow quicker and larger.
- The second round of fertilization should be applied just as your water chestnut plant begins to grow fruit. You will want to still use a 10-10-10 balanced fertilizer mix. You will want to apply it to your soil and immediately water after. This will allow your water chestnut plant to bear bigger and more fruit.
When NOT to Fertilize Water Chestnut in Pennsylvania
There are certain times you should not fertilize your water chestnut plant.
- Don’t fertilize seedlings that are less than 1 month old.
- Don’t fertilize water chestnut plants without immediately watering them after.
- Don’t fertilize water chestnut plants once they have ripened fruit on them.
- Don’t fertilize water chestnut after the initial fertilization period or before fruit begins to grow on your plant.
How Much Fertilizer Should I Apply to My Water Chestnut Plants?
The amount of fertilization you apply will depend on the specific type of water chestnut plant you have.
As a general rule you should:
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer package. Never apply more than the recommended amount.
- Apply the proper amount of fertilization around your water chestnut plant and never directly on it or on its stem.
- Provide the same amount of fertilization each time you apply it so that your water chestnut plant does not become shocked by too many or too few nutrients.
If you want to learn WHEN to Fertilize ANY Plant in Pennsylvania, head over HERE and just type in the plant you want to fertilize.
You can also find the BEST Fertilizers for Water Chestnut or Any Plant HERE.