Are you growing parsley in Ohio, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting parsley is not as easy as it seems.
- Parsley has a very short window when it can be harvested and still taste great.
So if you harvest them too early they may not be ready and taste bad. And if you harvest them too late they may become infected with mold, fungus, insects, etc., and become inedible.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest parsley in Ohio:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Parsley, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Parsley in Ohio?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your parsley: the physical features of the parsley & weather (time).
Harvest Parsley if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of parsley are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest parsley if they have the following physical features:
- The leaves of parsley are circular, long, and dark green in color and are at least 3 inches long.
Harvest Your Parsley During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest parsley:
- 70 to 90 days after starting parsley from seed
- Immediately after planting parsley in your garden
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your parsley before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your parsley plant and make your parsley inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Ohio. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Ohio Last & First Frost Dates
It should be noted that you should not overly rely on the first frost of the year. The average first frost of the year is only correct 30% of the time.
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If parsley are in pots, bring them inside
- If parsley is in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all parsley.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Ohio, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.