Are you growing turmeric in Ohio, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting turmeric is not as easy as it seems.
- Turmeric very short window when they can be harvested and still taste great.
So if you harvest them too early they may not be ready and taste bad. And if you harvest them too late they may become infected with mold, fungus, insects, etc., and become inedible.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest turmeric in Ohio:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Turmeric, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Turmeric in Ohio?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your Turmeric: the physical features of the turmeric & weather (time).
Harvest Turmeric if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of turmeric are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest turmeric if they have the following physical features:
- The leaves of the turmeric are tall, long, and dark green in color.
- The turmeric vegetable is tough to the touch and is about 6 to 12 inches long. It is a white/yellow color.
Harvest Your Turmeric During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest turmeric:
- 210 – 360 days after starting turmeric from seed
- 100 to 150 days after planting turmeric in your garden
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your turmeric before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your scallion plant and make your turmeric inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Ohio. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Ohio Last & First Frost Dates
It should be noted that you should not overly rely on the first frost of the year. The average first frost of the year is only correct 30% of the time.
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If turmeric are in pots, bring them inside
- If turmeric are in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all turmeric.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Ohio, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.