Do you want to grow abutilon seeds in Virginia, but don’t know when to start them?
Starting abutilon seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Abutilon Seeds must be consistently watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
So if you don’t consistently water them they won’t germinate. If they aren’t in a room that is at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit they won’t sprout. And if it receives 8 hours of sunlight the plant itself won’t grow.
- Because Virginia’s growing season is not long enough, abutilon seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start abutilon seeds indoors in Virginia:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Abutilon, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Abutilon Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of abutilon, it takes roughly 14 to 21 days to grow abutilon from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden. And it could take 270 days for your abutilon to bloom!
The approximate date of when you should start your abutilon seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the last average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 14 to 21 days from it
You can also find the average last frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your abutilon seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your abutilon seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your abutilon plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your last frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bloom
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Flower Seed in Virginia, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.