Do you want to grow brussel sprout seeds in Virginia, but don’t know when to start them?
Whether growing indoors or in a garden, starting brussel sprout seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Brussel Sprout Seeds must be consistently watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
So if you don’t consistently water them they won’t germinate. If they aren’t in a room that is at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit they won’t sprout. And if it receives 8 hours of sunlight the plant itself won’t grow.
- Because Virginia’s growing season is not long enough, brussel sprout seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start brussel sprout seeds indoors in Virginia:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Brussel Sprouts, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Brussel Sprout Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of brussel sprouts, it takes roughly 40-60 days (6 to 8 weeks) to grow brussel sprouts from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden.
The approximate date of when you should start your brussel sprout seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the last average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 60 days from it
You can also find the average last frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your brussel sprout seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your brussel sprout seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
Once your seedlings are ready, you can read how to transplant your plant HERE.
- Related: Here is the BEST Time to Plant Brussel Sprouts in a Garden in Virginia
- Related: Here is the BEST Time to Fertilize Brussel Sprouts in Virginia
- Related: Here is the BEST Time to Harvest Brussel Sprouts in Virginia
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your brussel sprout plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your last frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bear vegetables.
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Vegetable Seed in Virginia, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.