Do you want to grow coneflower seeds in Indiana, but don’t know when to start them?
Starting coneflower seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Coneflower Seeds must be consistently watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Because Indiana’s growing season is not long enough, coneflower seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start coneflower seeds indoors in Indiana:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Coneflower, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Coneflower Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of coneflower, it takes roughly 10 – 21 days to grow coneflower from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden. And it could take 60 to 90 days for your coneflower to bloom!
The approximate date of when you should start your coneflower seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the last average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 10 days from it
You can also find the average last frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your coneflower seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your coneflower seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your coneflower plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your last frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bloom
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Flower Seed in Indiana, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.