Do you want to grow coreopsis seeds in New Jersey, but don’t know when to start them?
Starting coreopsis seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Coreopsis Seeds must be consistently watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Because New Jersey’s growing season is not long enough, coreopsis seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start coreopsis seeds indoors in New Jersey:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Coreopsis, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Coreopsis Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of coreopsis, it takes roughly 14-21 days (2 to 3 weeks) to grow coreopsis from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden. And it could take another 2 years for your coreopsis to bloom!
The approximate date of when you should start your coreopsis seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the last average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 14 days from it
You can also find the average last frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your coreopsis seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your coreopsis seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your coreopsis plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your last frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bloom
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Flower Seed in New Jersey, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.