Do you want to grow crocus seeds in Minnesota, but don’t know when to start them?
Starting crocus seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Crocus Seeds must be consistently watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Because Minnesota’s growing season is not long enough, crocus seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start crocus seeds indoors in Minnesota:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Crocus, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Crocus Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of crocus, it takes roughly 42-70 days (6 to 10 weeks) to grow crocus from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden. And it could take 12 to 15 weeks for your crocus to bloom!
The approximate date of when you should start your crocus seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the first average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 42 days from it
You can also find the average first frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your crocus seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your crocus seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your crocus plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your first frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bloom
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Flower Seed in Minnesota, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.