Do you want to grow marjoram seeds in Virginia, but don’t know when to start them?
Starting marjoram seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Marjoram Seeds must be consistenly watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
So if you don’t consistently water them they won’t germinate. If they aren’t in a room that is at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit they won’t sprout. And if it receives 8 hours of sunlight the plant itself won’t grow.
- Because Virginia’s growing season is not long enough, marjoram seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start marjoram seeds indoors in Virginia:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Marjoram, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Marjoram Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of marjoram, it takes roughly 56-70 days (8 to 10 weeks) to grow marjoram from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden.
The approximate date of when you should start your marjoram seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the last average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 70 days from it
You can also find the average last frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your marjoram seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your marjoram seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your marjoram plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your last frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bear vegetables.
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Vegetable Seed in Virginia, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.