Do you want to grow periwinkle seeds in Missouri, but don’t know when to start them?
Starting periwinkle seeds is not as easy as it seems.
- Periwinkle Seeds must be consistently watered, receive at least 8 hours of sunlight a day, & be kept at room temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
So if you don’t consistently water them they won’t germinate. If they aren’t in a room that is at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit they won’t sprout. And if it receives 8 hours of sunlight the plant itself won’t grow.
- Because Missouri’s growing season is not long enough, periwinkle seeds cannot be sowed outside and should only be started indoors.
Because of this, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to start periwinkle seeds indoors in Missouri:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Periwinkle, Check Out This GUIDE!
When to Start Periwinkle Seeds Indoors
Depending on the type of periwinkle, it takes roughly 14 to 21 days to grow periwinkle from seed indoors before you can transplant them into your garden. And it could take 10 to 12 weeks for your periwinkle to bloom!
The approximate date of when you should start your periwinkle seeds indoors can be found by:
- Finding the first average frost date HERE
- And then subtract 14 days from it
You can also find the average first frost date for most major cities in the below chart that I have created:
To help ensure the greatest success of your periwinkle seeds germinating you should:
- Use a heat mat to ensure the gardening pot remains at 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use a grow light to control how much light your periwinkle seeds receive
- Water your seeds with a spray bottle to ensure your seeds are not overwatered
It should also be noted that you will not want to introduce your periwinkle plants into your garden until 2 weeks after your first frost or else your plant will potentially die or not bloom
If you want to learn WHEN to start ANY Flower Seed in Missouri, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.