Are you growing celery in Hawaii, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting celery is not as easy as it seems.
- Celery have a very short window when they can be harvested and still taste great.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest celery in Hawaii:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Celery, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Celery in Hawaii?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your celery: the physical features of the celery & weather (time).
Harvest Celery if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of celery are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest celery if they have the following physical features:
- The entire celery is a solid red color. If the celery is a lighter shade of red, it is not ready to be harvested
- The celery is slightly soft. Too hard means it is not ready. Too soft means it is overripe (but still edible)
Harvest Your Celery During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest celery:
- 65 to 85 days after starting celery from seed
- 40 to 50 days after planting celery in your garden
- 20 to 30 days after celery first appear
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your celery before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your celery plant and make your celery inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Hawaii. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Hawaii Last & First Frost Dates
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If celery are in pots, bring them inside
- If celery are in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all celery. If they are not ready, place them in a brown paper bag and store them for approximately 1 to 2 weeks to see if they become edible.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Hawaii, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.