Are you growing potato in Illinois, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting potato is not as easy as it seems.
- Potato have a very short window when they can be harvested and still taste great.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest potato in Illinois:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Potato, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Potato in Illinois?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your potato: the physical features of the potato & weather (time).
Harvest Potato if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of potato are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest potato if they have the following physical features:
- The entire potato is a solid red color. If the potato is a lighter shade of red, it is not ready to be harvested
- The potato is slightly soft. Too hard means it is not ready. Too soft means it is overripe (but still edible)
Harvest Your Potato During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest potato:
- 65 to 85 days after starting potato from seed
- 40 to 50 days after planting potato in your garden
- 20 to 30 days after potato first appear
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your potato before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your potato plant and make your potato inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Illinois. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Illinois Last & First Frost Dates
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If potato are in pots, bring them inside
- If potato are in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all potato. If they are not ready, place them in a brown paper bag and store them for approximately 1 to 2 weeks to see if they become edible.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Illinois, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.