Are you growing tarragon in Idaho, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting tarragon is not as easy as it seems.
- Tarragon have a very short window when they can be harvested and still taste great.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest tarragon in Idaho:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Tarragon, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Tarragon in Idaho?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your tarragon: the physical features of the tarragon & weather (time).
Harvest Tarragon if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of tarragon are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest tarragon if they have the following physical features:
- The entire tarragon is a solid red color. If the tarragon is a lighter shade of red, it is not ready to be harvested
- The tarragon is slightly soft. Too hard means it is not ready. Too soft means it is overripe (but still edible)
Harvest Your Tarragon During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest tarragon:
- 65 to 85 days after starting tarragon from seed
- 40 to 50 days after planting tarragon in your garden
- 20 to 30 days after tarragon first appear
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your tarragon before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your tarragon plant and make your tarragon inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Idaho. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Idaho Last & First Frost Dates
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If tarragon are in pots, bring them inside
- If tarragon are in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all tarragon. If they are not ready, place them in a brown paper bag and store them for approximately 1 to 2 weeks to see if they become edible.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Idaho, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.