Are you growing corn in Ohio, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting corn is not as easy as it seems.
- Corn very short window when they can be harvested and still taste great.
So if you harvest them too early they may not be ready and taste bad. And if you harvest them too late they may become infected with mold, fungus, insects, etc., and become inedible.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest corn in Ohio:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Corn, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Corn in Ohio?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your Corn: the physical features of the corn & weather (time).
Harvest Corn if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of corn are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest corn if they have the following physical features:
- The stalks of corn are 5 to 6 feet tall and are dark green.
- When you peel back the stalk to reveal the corn it is a white/yellow color and is hard to touch.
Harvest Your Corn During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest corn:
- 60 – 100 days after starting corn from seed
- 30 to 40 days after planting corn in your garden
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your corn before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your scallion plant and make your corn inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Ohio. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Ohio Last & First Frost Dates
It should be noted that you should not overly rely on the first frost of the year. The average first frost of the year is only correct 30% of the time.
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If corn are in pots, bring them inside
- If corn are in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all corn.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Ohio, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.