Are you growing cucumbers in Mississippi, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting cucumbers is not as easy as it seems.
- Cucumbers have a very short window when they can be harvested and still taste great.
So if you harvest them too early they may not be ready and taste bad. And if you harvest them too late they may become infected with mold, fungus, insects, etc., and become inedible.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest cucumbers in Mississippi:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Cucumbers, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Cucumbers in Mississippi?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your cucumbers: the physical features of the cucumbers & weather (time).
Harvest Cucumbers if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of cucumbers are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest cucumbers if they have the following physical features:
- The entire cucumbers is a solid red color. If the cucumbers is a lighter shade of red, it is not ready to be harvested
- The cucumbers is slightly soft. Too hard means it is not ready. Too soft means it is overripe (but still edible)
- Easily able to be deattached from the the plant. This means it has absorbed all the nutrients it needs and is ready.
Harvest Your Cucumbers During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest cucumbers:
- 65 to 85 days after starting cucumbers from seed
- 40 to 50 days after planting cucumbers in your garden
- 20 to 30 days after cucumbers first appear
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your cucumbers before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your cucumbers plant and make your cucumbers inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Mississippi. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Mississippi Last & First Frost Dates
It should be noted that you should not overly rely on the first frost of the year. The average first frost of the year is only correct 30% of the time.
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If cucumbers are in pots, bring them inside
- If cucumbers are in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all cucumbers. If they are not ready, place them in a brown paper bag and store them for approximately 1 to 2 weeks to see if they become edible.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Mississippi, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.