Are you growing blue bonnets in Illinois, but don’t know when they’ll bloom?
Getting your Blue Bonnets to bloom is not as easy as it seems.
- Blue Bonnets have a small window when they bloom and still look great.
So if they bloom too early they may die or not last as long. And if they bloom too late they may have small blooms that don’t last long.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time for blue bonnets to bloom in Illinois:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Blue Bonnets, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do Blue Bonnets Bloom in Illinois?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when Blue Bonnets will bloom: where your Blue Bonnets are planted & weather (time).
Bloom Time Depends on Where Your Blue Bonnets Are Planted!!!
When your Blue Bonnets will bloom will depend on exactly where it is planted in your yard or garden
In general, expect the following:
- If a blue bonnets is planted in an area of your yard that receives full sun it will bloom around the same time every year or up to two weeks early due to warm weather and extra sunlight.
- If a blue bonnets is planted in an area of your yard that received partial sun it will bloom around the same time every year.
- If a blue bonnets is planted in an area of your yard that receives shade and is not protected from wind or rain it will bloom anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks later than its average time.
Illinois Last & First Frost Dates
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Illinois. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Bloom Time Depends on the weather!
In general, blue bonnets will bloom:
- 6 to 8 weeks after starting blue bonnets from seed
- 25 days after planting blue bonnets in your yard
If you want to learn WHEN ANY Flower will bloom in Illinois, head over to HERE and just type in the flower you want to grow.