Are you growing borage in Ohio, but don’t know when the best time to harvest them is?
Harvesting borage is not as easy as it seems.
- Borage has a very short window when it can be harvested and still taste great.
So if you harvest them too early they may not be ready and taste bad. And if you harvest them too late they may become infected with mold, fungus, insects, etc., and become inedible.
Today, I’m going to teach you the ideal time to harvest borage in Ohio:
- To Learn More About HOW to Grow Borage, Check Out This GUIDE!
When Do I Harvest Borage in Ohio?
As you may have already guessed, there are two main factors that determine when you should harvest your borage: the physical features of the borage & weather (time).
Harvest Borage if They Look Like This!!!
The physical features of borage are what most gardeners commonly rely on to determine if they are ready to be picked off the plant or not.
In general, you should harvest borage if they have the following physical features:
- The leaves of borage are wide, long, and dark green in color and are at least 2 to 3 inches long.
Harvest Your Borage During THIS Time of Year!!!
In general, you should harvest rhubarb:
- 45 to 55 days after starting borage from seed
- Immediately after planting borage in your garden
And no matter what, you should ALWAYS harvest your borage before the first frost of the year. Frost will immediately kill your borage plant and make your borage inedible.
For your reference, I have created this table for average frost dates for most major cities in Ohio. If your city is not listed below you can find its Last & First Frost Dates HERE.
Ohio Last & First Frost Dates
It should be noted that you should not overly rely on the first frost of the year. The average first frost of the year is only correct 30% of the time.
Instead, pay close attention to your local weather.
When you know a frost is coming you need to take action.
- If borage are in pots, bring them inside
- If borage is in the ground, cover them in burlap and hope they survive
- Pick all borage.
If you want to learn WHEN to harvest ANY Vegetable in Ohio, head over to HERE and just type in the vegetable you want to grow.