What are the BEST Indoor Plants for Montana?
Finding the BEST Indoor Plants for Montana was not as easy as I thought. Some require extensive care, others aren’t suitable in Montana, and lots are just not simple & quick enough to grow.
That’s why I created a list of the 10 BEST Indoor Plants for Montana!
This ultimate guide will give you the BEST Indoor Plants for Montana, why you should grow them, and even how to grow them.
Read THIS Before Growing Plants Indoors in Montana
Knowing what environment plants thrive in can help you successfully grow plants indoors in Montana.
It can be the difference between your indoor plants thriving and providing beautiful blooms or producing nothing.
Indoor Plants thrive in dry air and warm temperatures. This means you should not have to change anything to your in Montana living.
10 BEST Plants to Grow Indoors in Montana
#1. Aloe Vera
Popular Varieties: Hedgehog, Spiral, Tiger Tooth
Why Grow Aloe Vera Indoors in Montana?
- Aloe Vera is one of the hardiest types of plants that you can grow indoors in Montana. This means that it is more forgiving than most plants, making it perfect for growing indoors in Montana. This is the perfect indoor plant for beginners!
Great for in Montana & Outdoors:
- Aloe Vera is the perfect succulent for someone who wants to keep it potted in Montana and then move it outdoors to add beauty to their yard when the weather is above freezing.
Harvested for Medicine:
- Aloe Vera is the most popular succulent that can be used for medicine. You can harvest the plant and use it to heal burns, cuts, skin disorders, and even constipation.
Easy to Create a Garden:
- Aloe Vera is the perfect plant to cut and use its pups to create grow more aloe vera and create your very own succulent garden indoors.
THESE Could Harm Your Aloe Vera
- If you overwater your Aloe Vera or keep the soil too wet then it can harm and even kill your succulent plant. It should be noted that aloe vera though is more forgiving with overwatering compared to other succulents.
Too Much Sunlight:
- While Aloe Vera loves heat and sunlight, too much direct sunlight in a sun and hot window can quickly cause its leaves to burn and potentially stunt its growth.
- Repotting Aloe Vera isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But when you do it too early (before the roots are pushing through the pot) then it can potentially cause shock and stunt the growth of your plant.
Learn How To Grow Aloe Vera HERE
#2. English Ivy
Popular Varieties: Needlepoint, Glacier
Why Grow English Ivy Indoors in Montana?
- Out of all the plants you can grow indoors in Montana, English Ivy is some of the most beautiful. They come in numerous shapes, colors, and sizes making them perfect for indoor Montana gardening.
Easy to Propagate:
- English Ivy is the easiest plant to propagate. All you need to do is simply remove the pups from the soil and plant them in a new gardening container.
- English Ivy is a low-maintenance plant. It requires very little water, no care or fertilizer, and an average amount of sunlight.
THESE Could Harm Your English Ivy
- While English Ivy is hardy and requires little care they do not like cold weather. If you do not provide enough indoor heat or sunlight this plant won’t grow and may even wilt.
Learn How To Grow Hens & Chicks HERE
#3. Jade Plant
Popular Varieties: Dwaft, “Money Tree”, Silver Dollar
Why Grow Jade Plants Indoors in Montana?
- Jade Plants are some of the most beautiful succulents that can be grown indoors Montana. You’ll love all the different-looking leaves and sizes that Jade Plants come in.
- The Jade Plant is one of the most foolproof plants to grow indoors in Montana no matter wherever you live. It literally requires little care and no maintenance. All you have to do is just not overwater it and it will stay alive and grow.
- Out of all of the plants the Jade Plant is one of the most inexpensive plants to buy, grow, and maintain in Montana! This makes it the perfect succulent for beginners.
THESE Could Harm Your Jade Plant
- The only thing that can harm your Jade Plant is overwatering. You’ll know when you have overwatered your Jade Plant when the leave begins falling off the plant.
Learn How to Grow Jade Plants HERE
#4. Peace Lily
Popular Varieties: Sensation, Sonia Peace, White Stripe
Why Grow Peace Lily Indoors in Montana?
- Peace Lily is one of the most versatile plants on this list. They can grow in gardening containers, can grow in a hanging basket, or can be grown in a flat container.
- There are just a handful of different types of peace lilies that can be grown; lots of sun, little water, and plenty of heat. It’s that simple!
- Peace Lily is another inexpensive plant and can be found in almost all home and garden stores. You can even order them online and have free shipping!
THESE Could Harm Your Peace Lilies
- Peace Lily leaves are very delicate meaning that you should not touch them often. It is also recommended that you don’t move the plant often as it can not only hurt the leaves but the plant itself.
Too Much Water:
- Every plant needs water. But if you water your peace lilies too much it will not only stunt your plant but will most likely kill it!
Did you know that Burro’s Tail has some of the most beautiful blooms of all succulents? In the summer they can bloom beautiful, vibrant pink flowers that all succulent gardeners will love.
#5. Spider Plant
Popular Varieties: Zebra, Bonnie, Hawaii, Fire Flash
Why Grow Spider Plants Indoors in Montana?
Thrives All Year:
- As long as you provide your spider plants with sunlight then they will not only thrive all year but grow all year making them one of the most beautiful succulents you can grow as a beginner.
Perfect for Terrariums:
- Since Spider Plants plants will get no larger than 5 inches tall it is perfect for terrariums and even to grow among other plants indoors in Montana. Best of all you can grow it outside in a succulent garden too if the weather is right.
THESE Could Harm Your Spider Plants
- The Spider plant is one of the trickiest plants to grow indoors in Montana. This succulent requires you to provide it with warm weather, lots of sunlight, and dry conditions. If you can’t provide this consistently then you should look at other plants to grow indoors in Montana.
Spider Plants are beautiful succulents that fit in almost any spot in your home due to their small height and width. This makes it perfect for families that want to grow it together in their homes!
#6. Christmas Cactus
Popular Varieties: Schlumbergera Truncata, Schumbelgera Bridgessii, and Rhipsalidopsis Gaertnerii
Why Grow Christmas Cactus Indoors in Montana?
Takes on More Water:
- Unlike the other plants on this list, the Christmas Cactus actually prefers to be watered more. If you happen to forget to water don’t worry as it will bounce back!
- The Cactus Christmas has one of the most beautiful blooms you’ll see out of all succulents and the best part is that it will happen just in time for Christmas or even Thanksgiving!
- The Christmas Cactus is the perfect gift for gardeners! Whether you are getting it for a Christmas gift or any other occasion the gardener in your life will love it.
Related: Best Gardening Gifts for Gardeners!
THESE Could Harm Your Christmas Cactus
Not Enough Water:
- Christmas Cactus can survive several days without water. But if you forget to water this plant for several weeks expect it to wilt and possibly die.
- Most plants require a specific type of soil to grow and thrive. If you provide your Christmas Cactus with the wrong type of soil expect it to not grow and possibly even die.
Did you know that there is not only a Christmas Cactus but also a Thanksgiving Cactus and an Easter Cactus? All make for beautiful gifts!
#7. Snake Plant
Popular Varieties: Black Gold, Twist, Mother in Law’s Tongue
Why Grow a Snake Plant in Montana?
- The Snake Plant is the hardiest plant on this list. It can survive weeks without water or light! And no matter the conditions it is the only succulent that will keep its stiff shape!
Perfect for ALL in Montana Gardens:
- The Snake Plant is the perfect succulent for any indoor Montana garden. You can put it anywhere in your house, arrange it with any other succulent, and it is kid and pet-friendly.
- If you are a brand-new succulent gardener then the Snake Plant is what you should start with. This plant is the easiest to take care of and you’ll learn the most by starting with this plant.
THESE Could Harm Your Snake Plant
- The only thing that can kill the snake plant is you. You will have to really mistreat it, ignore it, and almost manually destroy it in order for it to be harmful.
The Snake Plant is another great succulent that can be given as a gift. No matter if someone is a gardener or not it is the perfect accent for any home!
Popular Varieties: Cattleya, Dendrobium, Oncidium
Why Grow Orchids Indoors in Montana?
Perfect for Scenery:
- Orchids are some of the most beautiful flowers in the entire world, but they require a particular environment to thrive. Luckily for home gardeners, this is one of the few plants that do better indoors in Montana than outside.
- Not only do Orchids have beautiful blooms, but they also have beautiful different shades of blooms making it perfect for any spot in your home.
THESE Could Harm Your Orchid Plants
Too Much Water:
- Orchids require very little water to thrive. Most gardeners will actually water orchids with an ice cube. Even just a little too much water will stunt your orchid making blooms impossible and will likely kill your orchid.
Learn more about Orchids HERE
#9. Ponytail Palm
Popular Varieties: Beaucarnea Stricta, Beaucarnea Recurvata, Beaucarnea Gracilis
Why Grow Ponytail Palm Indoors in Montana?
- The Ponytail Palm is the most adaptable plant on this list! It can be grown outdoors in a garden, in a gardening container, and anywhere in your house!
- Because the Ponytail Palm can go with not as much water as other succulents and doesn’t need full sunlight like other plants, it makes it a great plant to start out for beginner gardeners!
THESE Could Harm Your Ponytail Palm
- Ponytail Palm can grow from 12 to 20 feet tall. Because of this, it is not the best plant to grow indoors in Montana in tight spaces. Small spaces will limit the ability for it to grow and become a healthy adult succulent.
The Ponytail Palm is also the perfect plant to grow in a greenhouse, outside in tropical-like environments, and even in climate-controlled indoors in Montana.
Popular Varieties: Sweet, Purple-Leaf, Small Leaf
Why Grow Basil Indoors in Montana?
Thrives in Heat:
- As the summers get warmer basil continues to get grow and become more flavorful. Look no further for a low-maintenance herb.
- Basil may be the easiest herbs to grow. You do not need to fertilize it, only need to water it once to twice a week, and it can be planted in any soil.
THESE Could Harm Your Basil Plant
- Basil is one of the most disease-prone herbs. Expect blight, fungus, and rot to affect your plant in the later summer months.
Learn How To Grow Basil HERE
Common Factors of the Best Indoor Plants in Montana
As a reminder, the below factors are common for the Best Indoor Montana Plants:
- Thrives in Heat and Cold
- Easy to Grow
- Hardy against Overwatering
- Requires Little Care